Over The Counter Treatments For Hemorrhoids
The top 10 over-the-counter treatments you have to know about and general information about hemorrhoids to understand how to get rid of the pain.
Hemorrhoids are common among populations around the world, they affect all group ages with some being more prone to developing according to the food they eat and don’t eat, their activity level as well as if they spend too much time seated or standing up.
In this article, we cover everything you need to know about hemorrhoids and the best treatments you can easily get on Amazon to alleviate the symptoms. We included key information regarding each product, with a brief description of what they are and how they help your body, as well as important things about hemorrhoids including the different types and when to see a doctor.
It is important that you don’t let hemorrhoid pain take over your life. The following medications are regulated and approved by laboratories and doctors to use without a prescription. Always read the label before purchasing and applying to ensure you do things properly.
Veins that grow outside and inside the rectum and anus become enlarged and inflamed to form hemorrhoids. Rectal hemorrhage and discomfort are possible effects. Hemorrhoids are a common birth defect, but they are not bothersome until they swell and start to produce uncomfortable symptoms. Hemorrhoids can affect anyone at any age, but as you become older, your risk of getting them rises.
Hemorrhoids may be more common in some populations, such as those who are expecting, obese or overweight, spend a lot of time sitting down, frequently lift heavy objects, have diarrhea, or consume low-fiber foods.
Types Of Hemorrhoids
Based on where the swollen vein appears, there are three different types of hemorrhoids. The first one is referred to as external hemorrhoids, and itchy, painful veins grow beneath the skin around the anus. Sometimes they bleed, which causes more discomfort and swelling. Due to the veins developing inside the rectum, the second variety is known as internal hemorrhoids (part of the digestive system that connects the large intestine, the colon, to the anus). While it is not painful, bleeding is a possibility.
The final type is referred to as prolapsed hemorrhoids, which can stretch and enlarge the anus and the external and internal veins. These can occasionally bleed and hurt as well.
Hemorrhoids are not very difficult to treat nor do they require an immediate surgical solution for those who are just starting to feel a bit of pain and discomfort. Usually, they go away on their own after about one or two weeks and treatment is not necessary, but to alleviate the symptoms you can implement some home treatments like ice packs or saltwater baths or invest in efficient over-the-counter medications.
You should look for over-the-counter treatments that have hydrocortisone, lidocaine, or witch hazel and you should consider increasing your fiber intake by adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet as well as drinking plenty of water.
In the following part, we share the best hemorrhoid over-the-counter treatments you can find on Amazon that will help you ease the pain quickly. However, if you still experience discomfort after two weeks you should see a doctor and allow them to evaluate your case and properly diagnose you.
Over-The-Counter Hemorrhoid Creams
There are various hemorrhoid medications that come in various forms such as creams, ointments, wipes, and more. Hemorrhoid creams are great for relieving pain, swelling, and the burning sensation for a temporary moment, and due to their composition, they can narrow the blood vessels in the area (1). It also acts as a local anesthetic, which contributes to the general goal of the cream.
Depending on which hemorrhoid cream is chosen, some can contain special ingredients that hydrate your skin, such as cocoa butter or mineral oil, to prevent it from irritating due to hemorrhoids and contact with stool.
Using hemorrhoid creams is easy and all you have to do is follow what the instructions in the package say. Ask a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
In essence, all you need to do is apply the product to the affected area of your skin up to 4 times during the day. Doctors recommend doing it in the morning and before going to be or after each bowel movement. Use the applicator that comes with the cream for applying product inside the lower part of your anus and never apply it high up inside the rectum.
We gathered the best hemorrhoid creams and ointments you can easily get on Amazon to put an end to your struggle in no time.
- PREPARATION H Hemorrhoid Symptom Treatment Cream. Preparation H is one of the most common and recommended brands for over-the-counter hemorrhoid treatment. This cream is ideal for alleviating the symptoms quickly and it is infused with aloe, perfect for hydrating your skin at all times. It shrinks swollen hemorrhoid tissue and its small-sized tube can be carried in any bag or even pocket, so you’re always protected during your day no matter where you are.
- Boiron HemCalm Ointment for Hemorrhoid. This ointment can be used for ages 12 and up and can be applied up to 4 times a day externally. It has a paraben-free formula that targets external hemorrhoids and is safe to use the minute you experience a sign of hemorrhoid before the pain becomes unbearable.
Suppositories For Hemorrhoids
For those who don’t know, suppositories are a solid medicine meant to be applied into the rectum, where they naturally dissolve and are absorbed through this canal.
They are a combination of a cream or oil and medicine and are recommended for mild hemorrhoid pain. They’re constructed from a substance that melts at body temperature. This enables the suppository’s active components to be dispersed and absorbed into the bloodstream. They work to alleviate discomfort by constricting swollen veins and lubricating the anal region.
There are various kinds of suppositories for hemorrhoids with each having its specific purpose and results in individuals. They vary, in general lines, in relieving constipation, swelling, burning, and other characteristic hemorrhoid effects.
Here are the most effective suppositories for hemorrhoids to alleviate your pain and feel good again quickly.
- Calmol 4 Hemorrhoidal Suppositories with Soothing Natural Ingredients. This product soothes and relieves hemorrhoid pain, inflamed tissues, and other related anorectal issues. Calmol 4 is recommended for relieving pain, itchiness, burning sensations, and more symptoms caused by hemorrhoids as well as making bowel movements less painful. It contains natural ingredients, like cocoa butter, that lubricates your skin and help restore the affected skin area. Thanks to its unique bulb shape, you can easily insert the suppository and retain it for longer.
- Preparation H Hemorrhoid Suppositories For Itching And Discomfort Relief. Preparation H is the leader brand recommended by doctors, and these suppositories provide pain and itch relief caused by internal hemorrhoids. They’re formulated to soothe irritation and hydrate your skin to prevent further damage.
Recommended Pillows For Hemorrhoids
At some stages, hemorrhoid pain becomes unbearable. Whether you’ve waited for hemorrhoids to go away on their own and did not happen, or tried some home and over-the-counter treatments and did not succeed, you should consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis. While you wait for your appointment, you shouldn’t let the pain stop you from feeling comfortable in your home or workplace, which is why investing in a pillow for hemorrhoids is recommended.
You feel pain when you sit because of hemorrhoid swelling and the increased pressure you put in the area while you are seated. The longer you sit, the more painful it becomes, but this doesn’t have to be this way. If you have to sit for long periods due to your work, for example, it is advised that you go for a small walk around the office from time to time, as well as implement using a hemorrhoid cushion.
A hemorrhoid pillow will help you sit comfortably without adding pressure to the affected area. What’s more, daily use of one can reduce swelling and overall alleviate your discomfort. It is important that you still stand up and walk around even when using this pillow.
We found the most rated hemorrhoid pillows on Amazon we want to share with you in this post.
- DMI Seat Cushion Donut Pillow and Chair Pillow for Tailbone Pain Relief, Hemorrhoids, Prostate, Pregnancy, Post Natal, Pressure Relief and Surgery. The donut-shaped cushion works wonders on preventing pressure on the tailbone and your lower extremities while relieving pain related to hemorrhoids. Its high-density foam keeps the original shape even after being seated for long periods and repeated uses. Excellent for travel and carrying it in a backpack, and it doesn’t occupy space for storage.
- Newmind Foam Donut Cushion Orthopedic Ring Pillow with Removable Cover for Hemorrhoid. This hemorrhoid pillow reduces pressure on tender areas when you sit and provides comfort and gentle support to reduce stress when sitting. What’s more, its breathable hole is designed to prevent bedsores, which is great for those who have to stay in the same position for a long time.
Affordable Wipes For Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid wipes and pads are recommended for relieving irritation, itching, and burning as well as to clean the outer part of the vaginal area after birth or the rectal area after rectal surgery.
They can be used every day to cleanse, reduce irritation and kill bacteria that may infect the area. Most wipes are biodegradable and optimal for flushing down the toilet, but make sure to carefully read the package just to be sure.
These wipes are perfect for carrying with you and alleviating hemorrhoid symptoms. Even if you don’t suffer from hemorrhoids or have already gotten rid of them, switching to wipes can help with keeping your skin hydrated and decrease the chances of getting hemorrhoids again or developing other conditions in the future.
We gathered the most purchased and affordable wipes for hemorrhoids you can find on Amazon to eliminate your discomfort in no time.
- T.N. Dickinson’s Hemorrhoidal Pads, Witch Hazel with Aloe. These hemorrhoid pads provide a soft and natural moisturizing for the affected areas on your skin, and although they are gentle and sensitive, they are highly effective for both hemorrhoids and vaginal care. They contain 50% natural witch hazel and other inactive ingredients, as well as purified water, aloe leaf juice, and 7% alcohol to kill bacteria.
- Preparation H Totables Hemorrhoid Flushable Wipes with Witch Hazel for Skin Irritation Relief. Delivers irritation relief due to external hemorrhoids while cleansing and hydrating the area to prevent further damage from occurring. Aloe and witch hazel are present in this formula, which is two of the best ingredients for looking after your skin and restoring it after hemorrhoids. Further, they can be flushed and are biodegradable, so you’re not only helping yourself but the environment too.
Excellent Ice For Hemorrhoids
By applying ice packs or a cold compress to the anal area, hemorrhoids’ swelling and irritation can be lessened. The symptoms can be lessened by applying ice to the area, but it should not be done for too long. Additionally, you must take care to avoid touching the skin with ice. Before using it, wrap the ice pack or compress it with a paper towel or thin fabric to insulate your skin.
Icing will initially lessen and then progressively reduce the swelling since it tends to impede the blood flow to hemorrhoids, which are enlarged blood vessels found in the rectal area. The resulting edema can be considerably reduced by applying regular ice for one to three days. That also depends on how serious the situation is.
You can continue applying the ice pack until you get relief from the discomfort and swelling caused by the hemorrhoids. As long as the ice pack is always covered with a cloth and kept away from hemorrhoids, there are no health dangers. Applying the ice pack will provide immediate relief, up to four times each day.
Here we found the two best ice packs for hemorrhoids you should consider getting for relieving your body in little to no time.
- Hemorrwedge Hemorrhoid Treatment Ice Pack. This gel ice pack provides instant relief from hemorrhoids while considerably shrinking its size. They are very simple to use and clean, and you only need to rinse them with warm soapy water before returning them to the freezer after using them. They come with a case and lid for hygienic storage in the freezer.
- TendHer Reusable Perineal Ice Packs for Postpartum & Hemorrhoid Pain Relief. These ice packs are great for applying the hot-and-cold method since they can be frozen quickly in the freezer or heated up in hot water in minutes. They provide a soothing and relieving sensation and are great for reducing hemorrhoid size. No matter if they are hot or cold, they maintain their shape and softness so you can use them many times without having to purchase new ones.
Which Treatment To Choose According To Specific Situations
In this post, we talked about different over-the-counter treatments for hemorrhoids and included what they are and their recommended uses. If you want to treat the condition by yourself and are wondering which treatment to choose, this part will come in handy.
All medications shared in this article are optimal for first-uses, but depending on your activities during the day or how uncomfortable you are, you may prefer one specific product over the other.
So, when should I use…
- Hemorrhoids cream/ointment? If you notice signs of hemorrhoids such as itchiness, a burning sensation, pain, and discomfort while sitting or during bowel movements, hemorrhoids cream is always a great choice. You can apply it up to 4 times a day (read your cream’s label first) to help alleviate the symptoms as well as hydrate your skin to prevent damage.
- Hemorrhoid suppositories? People of all ages can use them because they are a safe and efficient kind of treatment. Internal hemorrhoids typically go away a few days after beginning suppositories as a treatment. It can take longer for the symptoms to go away if you have severe hemorrhoids.
- Hemorrhoid pillows? If you have a sit-down job, this hemorrhoid treatment is the one for you. Used along with other over-the-counter medication for ultimate results and quick elimination of hemorrhoids, these pillows provide extreme comfort and help to not put pressure on the affected area, which if not, can make the situation worse and increase your symptoms.
- Hemorrhoid wipes? Hemorrhoid wipes can be used at any stage, whether you just realized you experience pain or you’ve been diagnosed with hemorrhoids a few days ago, these wipes are an excellent choice for keeping your bottom clean and away from further damage. Even after getting rid of hemorrhoids, you can still use the wipes to ensure you’re not spreading bacteria from your bottom to the nearby skin.
- Hemorrhoids ice packs? Similar to hemorrhoid pillows, you can use ice packs to find a relieving sensation at any stage of your diagnosis. They are perfect for those who have to stay seated for long periods as well as for those who are on bed rest. The hot-and-cold combination can provide excellent results while shrinking hemorrhoids until it’s gone.
When To See A Doctor For Hemorrhoids
It’s time to see your doctor if you’ve attempted home remedies to treat hemorrhoids or if you’ve seen any signs. To be more specific, please make an appointment with a doctor or visit a hospital for a quicker diagnosis if you have hemorrhoids that are causing a lot of pain and discomfort, you feel rectal bleeding, or you notice a marron or tarry hue when you use the restroom (an indication of bleeding). Seek medical assistance as soon as you have severe rectal bleeding, fainting, or dizziness.
Although hemorrhoids are not a life or death matter, you shouldn’t ignore them or put off getting them checked. Because hemorrhoids are nothing to be terrified of, they can go away on their own, with over-the-counter drugs, or with a simple medical operation. However, if you wait too long to cure them, they could become serious problems that need a different kind of treatment and endanger your health.
Excessive bleeding, which ultimately results in blood clots and a thrombosed hemorrhoid, is the main danger of not treating hemorrhoids. The region can appear blue or purple and become painfully swollen; these are external hemorrhoids with a blood clot inside of them.
There are ways to prevent getting hemorrhoids such as increasing your fiber intake by eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, doing some sort of physical activity a few times a week, drinking plenty of fluids as well as not spending too much time sitting or standing up on a daily basis.
Over-The-Counter Treatment For Hemorrhoids Conclusion
This article aims to educate users about the different over-the-counter treatments for hemorrhoids that exist in the market and which one to choose according to your specific situation.
We began by talking about what hemorrhoids are and the different types that exist, as well as mentioning a few of the symptoms you can experience. Then, we introduced how hemorrhoids are treated and began sharing our opinion about the best medication you can get on Amazon in different forms such as creams, ointments, ice packs, pillows, wipes, and suppositories.
In each part, we included key information about what the products were and how they work to later mention our two best recommendations with a brief description of the brands and their products.
In the end, we shared more information about which product to use depending on how severe your pain and discomfort are. What’s more, when to call a doctor and what to do to prevent getting hemorrhoids.
We encourage you to try any of the products mentioned, which are all regulated and safe to get without a prescription, and in case your pain continues after two weeks please consider consulting a doctor to get a more precise diagnosis and treatment.